Surviving and thriving with migraines is a big effort and you can’t do it alone. Here are some of my favourite tools, resources and links from around the globe.
- Migraine Diary – I use MigrainePal which I’ve built in collaboration with the Brain Foundation & Headache Australia to help migraineurs better manage their condition.
- Meditation & Breathing – MyCalmBeat is a free and simple app that helps you control and regulate your breathing. If your mind races at night – try a couple sessions with this!
- Sleep tracking – Sleep Cycle for iOS or SleepBot for Android. What gets measured gets improved. I have a strange obsession in tracking my sleep because sleep is so important for migraines. Sleep Cycle makes it easy for me.
- Diet tracking- MyFitnessPal – is probably the best and certainly the biggest diet tracking app in the world. It’s helpful to keep track of what you’re eating and even look back at potential trigger foods.
- World Headache Alliance: founded to reduce the burden of headache disorders globally by sharing information amongst headache organisations and improving headache awareness. (http://www.w-h-a.org)
- World Health Organisation: the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations. (http://www.who.int/en/)
- International Headache Society: this is a widely recognised body of international professionals working together for the benefit of those suffering from headache disorders (http://www.ihs-headache.org/frame_non_members.asp)
- Lifting the Burden: a global campaign against headache. Established for migraine relief that is closely associated with the World Health Organization and the World Health Alliance. (http://www.l-t-b.org)
- WebMD: has an informative section on migraines (http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/default.htm)
- National Headache Foundation: seeks to further awareness of migraines as a legitimate neurobiological disease. (http://www.headaches.org)
- Migraine.com – has lots of editorial and stories about migraines as well as content.(www.migraine.com)
UK & Europe
- Migraine Trust: seeks to empower, inform and support those affected by migraines (http://www.migrainetrust.org)
- European Headache Federation: a non-profit organisation which seeks to improve the quality of life for those afflicted by headache disorders. (http://www.ehf-org.org/Pages/default.aspx)
- WebMDBoots (UK version) also has a good section on migraines. (http://www.webmd.boots.com/migraines-headaches/default.htm)
- Canadian Headache Society & Headache Network Canada: joint website to provide educational services, raise awareness, assist the medical profession and work with government. (http://headachenetwork.ca)
- Neurological Health Charities Canada (http://www.mybrainmatters.ca)
- Headache Australia: a non-profit organisation which supports those affected by headache and migraine. Objectives including raising funds, public awareness, education programs, growing the national headache register and promoting research. (http://headacheaustralia.org.au)
Was this helpful? Keep updated with research, news and guides like this delivered to you free!
Photography by DonkeyHotey @ Flickr